My community is unsafe
I can’t find a job
My school is a zoo
But you knew this when you left
I don’t believe you
The system is rigged
You said I’m free
You said if I just worked hard
I bleed red just like you
I’m no victim
I’m not living a lie
I will be free before I die
I just don’t believe you
Many of us stay in the wilderness of life because we believe it’s our destiny to struggle. Just constant struggle! There’s a greater life after each great test, a period of peace until the next time of struggle which, in turn, will bring about growth. Just like there is a spring, summer, fall, and winter, there are seasons of life. Each season has purpose, and it’s unavoidable. There’s a Joshua spirit in you, not to only see the promise, but to possess your promise.
Some keys to your promise
1. Pray to God for direction: ask, seek, and knock.
• Ask Him. Make prayers, all types of prayer petitions, to His courts. Make prayers of supplication and thanksgiving.
• Seek Him. Seek the Word of God. The answer is in His Word. Ground yourself in scripture. There’s a biblical example of your problem as well as your solution in the Word of God.
• Knock! Knock! Knock and don’t stop knocking until God answers you. Rest in Him and renew your strength as you wait.
2. Be obedient and faithful in your journey.
• A vision and plan will come.
• Write it down or record it. Make it plain.
• Study it; it will continue to speak.
• Without vision, you surely will perish.
3. Don’t mistake opposition for being wrong.
• Opposition is to be expected.
• Fight through it.
• Make adjustments; it is how you grow stronger.
4. Don’t quit.
• Get back up.
• Your timetable is your own and is between you and God.
5. Your world must be framed by the Word of God.
By faith, it shall be done!
Why do they seem to hate me so much? What does this world have against me?
I am strong. My skin is dark, but my soul is bright, and so is my spirit. My mind is unmatched; there’s nothing I can’t do.
No matter how much you hate me, my hope exceeds your hate.Your systematic approach to kill me won’t win; I will overcome and adapt. I will restore divine order and get back on themountaintop. It is my destiny; I have from now until the end of time.
I was in the thought of God before the foundations of the world. It may be as if I’m last. But, I know in the end, I will be first. I’m strong and courageous.
You will no longer arrest my development; you will no longer imprison my mind with false reality. You will no longer relegate me to your images. You won’t tell me you don’t need me; you can’t survive without me. You won’t tell me that I am my past.You won’t raise me to be my mother. You won’t birth me without a father.
You will not kill this black boy. I will not ask your permission to be a black boy. I shall live and not die!
How do we attack issues in our community?
Here’s my seven “Betters Plan”
Better community schools
Schools that have a holistic approach to educating urban youth., it’s not just about academics
Better jobs (living wages) support minority business development
Better church outreach
Strategic spiritual outreach that includes a 5 fold ministry approach
Better men (mentoring)
You gotta go to the street where people are hurting the most,,
Better housing policy (the concentration of poverty in one area or areas stunts the growth of a community people who are perpetually living in crisis..
Better parenting .. Needs to be a cultural shift.. Schools and other community organizations have to be apart in teaching new skills
Better public transportation
How do people get to better paying jobs without viable community transportation?
This could be the eighth and most important better.. We need “Better Community Leadership” our community leadership is exclusive and not inclusive..
I wish the class of 2014 the best!